Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Group Seminar by Adrià Delhom I Latorre

 Speaker: Adrià Delhom I Latorre
 Place: 241 Nicholson

 Date: Wednesday Nov 20th

 Time: 13:30
Title: Curvature-based Metric-affine gravity

Abstract:  I will give an overview of metric-affine gravity theories, focusing in those with actions built with the Ricci tensor, trying to emphasize the phenomenological aspects of these theories that are similar to those encountered in quantum gravity theories. First, I will review the different frameworks that fall within metric-affine gravity (teleparallel, gauge gravity, etc.). Focusing on actions built upon curvature tensors (curvature-based), I will then explain why low-curvature modifications to GR, that could explain the accelerated expansion, are ruled out by experiments. Then I will show why metric-affine higher order curvature theories can be free from ghosts and the role played by projective symmetry on this. After that, I will give some results involving black hole like objects that arise naturally in several metric-affine models are described by non-singular spacetimes (in the sense of geodeticall completeness). I will also present some bouncing cosmological models within these theories and how the LQC dynamics can be mimicked by an f(R) theory. Finally, I will show how in some curvature-based metric-affine gravity the matter sector develops non-linear interactions that can be used to constrain these theories.


No comments:

Post a Comment